The Rob 1000 — Fri 14-Jun-19 @ 00:01
Here we go again
There is a long weekend ahead and what better way to spend it than on a bicycle. A few of our local riders have attended the recent 36ONE that clashed with the Western Cape 1000km BRM that same weekend. They thought it would be beneficial to fit in a long ride before departing for PBP and played with the idea of doing our 1000km route, according to the same rules. Getting this validated as an official BRM was a long shot, given that they are busy with PBP preparations, but the request was made in earnest and permission granted by ACP.
This ride shall be known as the Rob 1000, after the brainchild behind this route and in honour of a man who shortly departs for the UK. Rob, a sincere thanks from all our local Randonneurs for the inspirational work (and many hours behind the scenes) you have given to Audax SA since 2014. During this period, he completed 20 BRM’s and a PBP himself, while assisting and later overseeing a whopping 50 rides – a full calendar indeed. He inspired and motivated many, and leaves behind a rare breed of strong-willed cyclists, ready for more epic rides. Keep following Rob’s own adventures on justkeeppedalling.com.
If you fancy cycling to Hartenbos and back again this weekend, enter online here and join us for the start from Vrede at 00.01 on Friday morning 14th June 2019. It is sure to be extremely cold, but highly rewarding, as always. Brevet cards are being created as we speak and the route is available on RWGPS here.
Our website has also seen a recent overhaul, after 7 years in the making. Have a look and tell us what you think. The roll of honour needs updating with recent SR’s – kindly submit yours via email. The guys up in JHB are also hard at work in implementing a new entry portal and shortly you will be able to use your Entryninja profile to enter for Audax rides.
As usual, our regular reminders:
- Entry: If at all possible, enter online so we know who’s coming. EFT payment details are at the bottom of the page. Please use these to help eliminate cash handling on the day:
- Cards: Please fill out your card properly and sign and hand it in at the end. Please make sure you have collected clear and unequivocal evidence of visiting each control. We’ve had too many cards lately with no names on, and a few lost cards. In some cases, if a rider was in the company of others we may be able to locally recognise completion and award a medal. But we can’t validate a ride with the ACP and have it as an official result in the eyes of Paris without a properly completed card.
- Medals: If you want a medal, indicate on your card
- Rules: Please familiarize yourself with the rules of Audax Cycling here
- Support: Please note support vehicles and outside assistance are only allowed at the designated controls and forbidden at all other points on the route. If you receive outside help between controls, you are a DNF and should not continue with other riders still taking part or submit your card.
Take care, look after each other, and observe all traffic laws!